6 Ways to Stay Motivated at Work
Distractions are everywhere in the office and with so many tasks and priorities it is easy to get frustrated and waste time doing nonessential tasks. Being able to avoid distractions and work on the most important tasks one at a time will skyrocket your productivity and set you up for success. Here are some tips on staying motivated throughout the day:
- Take scheduled computer breaks
- Getting away from your cube to go for a quick walk will allow your mind to take a break which will allow you to work more efficiently when you return. This will also allow you to rest your eyes from the computer screen
- What you eat will directly impact how you feel. Making sure to include plenty of fruits, vegetables and whole foods in your daily diet will give you more energy and make you feel better. Eating healthy snacks throughout the day will also help fight off tiredness caused by hunger and help keep you focused.
- Classical music can be great background music to promote thinking but if you don’t enjoy classical that is fine, just pick something that will allow you to work. Having your music going will get rid of other distractions and allow you to fully concentrate on your task at hand.
- While it may seem like an efficient way to approach your work multitasking will lead to poorer performance. Not being fully focused on the task at hand will lead to an increase of mistakes which will add additional work. Also, if you are constantly starting new projects before completing projects you will increase your stress levels.
- Working from a different location can help give new energy to a project or allow you to look at a problem from a different point of view. Try working in the communal workspace instead of your cube if your office supports it. If possible, work from home to help improve creativity and mood.
- Action leads to motivation so completing an easy task can start you on the path to completing the more complex tasks. Completing a task (even a small one) will also give you a feeling of accomplishment which will lift your spirits and motivate you to do more work.
Nobody is motivated 100% of the time but if you find yourself in a slump then using these tips will help you get back to a good space for getting work done. It is also important to pay attention to how you are acting so you can identify when your motivation begins to slip and preemptively implement some of these tips. If you feel yourself losing motivation that might be a good time to take a walk outside to get some fresh air and re-energize yourself. If you don’t take care of yourself your performance will suffer and you are setting yourself up for failure so do not hesitate to take time for yourself when you feel you need it.